A podcast discussion about investing in the future of wearable technology.
Summary of the report is:
– Design isn’t just about beauty; it’s about market relevance and meaningful results.
– M&A activity continues in the design space, and it’s increased.
– Increasing the designers needed in the tech industry requires rethinking education.
– The adoption of design by public companies is only growing.
– Designers bring needed critical thinking/making in the economic case for inclusion.
– Work in the research labs from decades ago drives today’s startups. Be aware.
Matt Rogers, founder and VP of Engineering at Nest Labs, shared about how he helped scale the company from a garage startup to a significantly larger organization today. Reflecting back on the founding story of Nest, Matt shares some lessons about leadership and how early product decisions shaped the company’s long-term success.
— Spencer Chen (@spencerchen) April 27, 2016
Nothing is original, these are NOT the logos of Medium AirBNB, Flipboard, and Beats.
The above images are from Trademarks & Symbols of the World book.
This reminds me that “‘Don’t try to be original. Just try to be good.’ That sounds sort of naive but it’s true.” -Paul Rand
Google new identity is beautiful and logo is built on the mathematical purity of geometric circles. They also introduced a new Font type “Product Sans” which reflects this but makes optical corrections for legibility.
Finally i feel good useable design makes you happy.
Simple can be harder than complex: You have to work hard to get your thinking clean to make it simple. But it’s worth it in the end because once you get there, you can move mountains.
– Steve Jobs