Today’s most beloved technology products and services balance design and engineering in a way that perfectly blends form and function. Businesses started by designers have created billions of dollars of value, are raising billions in capital, and VC firms increasingly see the importance of design. The third annual Design in Tech Report examines how design trends are revolutionizing the entrepreneurial and corporate ecosystems in tech. This report covers related M&A activity, new patterns in creativity × business, and the rise of computational design.
– John Maeda
Summary of the report is:
– Design isn’t just about beauty; it’s about market relevance and meaningful results.
– M&A activity continues in the design space, and it’s increased.
– Increasing the designers needed in the tech industry requires rethinking education.
– The adoption of design by public companies is only growing.
– Designers bring needed critical thinking/making in the economic case for inclusion.
– Work in the research labs from decades ago drives today’s startups. Be aware.